1.5kg Peeled and deseeded butternut squash, cut into 3cm cubes
1 Large onion
2 Medium carrots
1 Red pepper, deseeded and cut into cubes
4 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 tbsp clear honey
5cm piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped
1.5 ltrs of vegetable stock
Salt & pepper
1. Preheat oven to 200oC/180oC if fan assisted.
2. Tip the prepared squash into a large, re-sealable freezer bag with the onion, carrots and red pepper. Add half the oil and salt and pepper and toss everything together until the vegetables are evenly coated.
3. Tip into a large roasting tin and spread out to form a single layer.
4. Roast in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until tender and tinged brown. Drizzle over the honey 5 minutes before the end of cooking.
5. Place a large, deep-sided saucepan over a medium heat, add the remaining oil and, when it’s hot, add the ginger and fry for a minute. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil, then stir in the roasted vegetables and add the salt and pepper.
6. Remove the saucepan from the heat and, using a hand blender, blend the mixture until smooth. Return to the heat to warm through and serve hot with crusty bread.
Carpenter’s Nursery Shopping List
Our own grown butternut squash Red pepper
Onion Copley & Buckley honey
Carrots Kent’s Kitchen vegetable stock
Ginger Chiltern rapeseed oil