With limited resources and amenities available, Fred senior initially focused on growing seasonal fruit and vegetables that were sold at St Albans market and the surrounding villages.
The business grew slowly until Fred Carpenter junior joined in 1947. Installing mains electricity and an irrigation system at the site he set about building a retail nursery, laying the foundations for the modern business as it is today.
Joining the business in 1978 and 1984 Stephen and Colin Carpenter worked alongside Fred until his retirement in 1995. Under their management the business has continued to prosper to this day, serving and employing new generations of the local community.